Deadline: May 17, 2022
Applicants must be:
- Citizens or permanent residents of Kenya, Uganda, or Tanzania
- Currently living in the city where the workshops take place (Nairobi, Kampala, or Dar es Salaam)
- Accomplished in an artistic field. Any creative discipline is welcome
- Experience in a creative technology field is preferred but not required
Are you an interdisciplinary artist who has an interest in civic journalism, digital advocacy, internet democracy, and social justice? Are you based in Nairobi, Kampala, or Dar es Salaam and want to add Augmented Reality (AR) to your current creative practice?
Electric South, BlackRhino VR, Ona Stories, and The Ford Foundation invite artists and technologists who are exploring issues around civic or social issues and digital storytelling to apply for the Storytelling Through Augmented Reality (AR) Workshops and Grants 2022.
The “Storytelling through AR Workshops” will take place over the course of two days in three cities across East Africa. In each city, ten to fifteen interdisciplinary artists will engage in discussions and exercises, familiarising themselves with some key AR tools in order to think creatively about how AR can serve artistic practice. All meals during the workshop will be provided by the organisers.
- They have up to $10,000 in micro-grants available for a select number of AR projects. Artists will retain full ownership of any work that is produced during the workshop and/or with grant funds.
- They also offer a menu of support for our lab alumni, which may include producing, creative and technical consultation, mentorship, industry networking, equipment loans, distribution, and more.
The last day to submit is Tuesday, May 17, 2022. All successful applicants will be notified by Friday, May 27, 2022.
- The workshop will run in Nairobi, Kenya on Wednesday, June 8, and Thursday, June 9, 2022
- The workshop will run in Kampala, Uganda on Monday, June 13, and Tuesday, June 14, 2022.
The workshop will run in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania on Friday, June 17, and Saturday, June 18, 2022.